May is National Smile Month, a month dedicated to promoting good oral health! Your oral health is very important to your overall health; your mouth helps you eat, talk, and of course, smile! The Oral Health Foundation says,
“Good oral health can have so many wonderful life-changing benefits. From greater self-confidence to better luck in careers and relationships, a healthy smile can truly transform your visual appearance, the positivity of your mind-set, as well as improving the health of not only your mouth but your body too.”
We get our nails manicured and our backs massaged, but our mouths deserve some TLC too! Here are five ways you can “treat yo’ teeth” this May:
1. Smile! The best way to celebrate National Smile Month is by smiling, of course! Think about how good it feels when someone smiles at you on the sidewalk, takes your order at a restaurant, or listens to you talk about your day. Smiles are personal, individual, and make everyone’s day a little brighter. So don’t forget to flash those pearly whites whenever you can!
2. Take a selfie. While you’re testing out number one on our list, take a selfie while giving the camera your most dazzling smile. Make sure to hashtag #NationalSmileMonth, and tell your followers what makes you smile! Maybe it’s your mom, your dog, your favorite sport, or even a good book. If it’s a person, why not get them in the picture, too?
3. Try a new food. We all know that sugar isn’t good for your oral health, but there are plenty of foods which are! According to LiveScience, foods like raisins, cheese, and cranberries are all mouth-friendly munchies. Test out a new recipe and see if you can incorporate any of their tasty suggestions.
4. Learn something. Do you know the psychology behind a smile? Why do we smile, and what does it do to our behavior? What makes smiles so contagious? There’s a lot of fascinating information behind such a simple expression. Did you know that it takes 43 muscles to frown, but only 17 to smile? Crazy, right?! Scientists have even found that there are 14 different kinds of smiles. Read up on the intriguing science behind a big ol’ grin on the National Smile Month website.
5. Visit the dentist. The best way to make sure your teeth are in tip-top shape is by visiting your oral care professional. Dentists can ensure that your teeth aren’t developing any cavities, and will give your teeth a good cleaning. You’ll leave feeling refreshed and ready to show off that marvelous smile!
To schedule your dentist’s appointment, contact us!